Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year. I’m looking forward to my fifth year as Principal at North Pines Middle School. We have a great year planned and are off to an awesome start!
Our staff is highly qualified and committed to partnering with each other, students, and parents to ensure a positive, intellectual learning environment. Our students should be good citizens and be prepared to do well at U-High or CVHS (or another high school).
Academically: Our staff is highly skilled at designing engaging and challenging lessons for our students, while offering lots of support when students need it. These lessons prepare our students for college or career and definitely for success in high school. We are lucky to be an AVID school. As part of AVID, all of our students stay organized using a 3-ring binder system that has tabs for each class and a pencil pouch. Also, AVID teaches our students how to take good notes as well as ask and answer higher-level questions.
Social-emotionally: Middle school is an exciting time of change. Not only will students will be managing more classes and increased workload, they will be adjusting to social changes as well. At North Pines, all students have a Character Strong class once per week. This class helps us grow our skills to be kind, empathetic, and courageous every day. North Pines uses Restorative Justice to help students fix problems when they make mistakes or harm someone else.
The following will help us have a successful, enjoyable school year:
- Communicate respectfully with others.
- Challenge yourself to find solutions.
- Surround yourself with positive people.
- Look for ways to use your strengths to contribute to our school community.
- Ask your child questions about school, such as “What was the most interesting thing you learned in math today?”
- Register for and use Power School to check on your child’s attendance and academic progress.
- Communicate with your child’s teachers to establish successful home/school connections. Email, call, or set-up a visit.
- Ask about ways to volunteer at school.
I am honored to serve as Principal at North Pines Middle School and to continue to grow the relationships with students and families. Thank you for being a part of our community.